Monday, November 16, 2009

Nosce Te Ispum

To know one's self is a rather awkward concept to reflect upon. To start things off I know my name, my home, and hopefully my homework for tomorrow. These things however, are very concrete concepts, they are constants, facts, and real. To delve into the more plastic, things such as my favorite band are brought up, granted they are know, but always open to some change and shifting. Now all of this information above would be valuable to write the book of me, but they are nearly the words. The word order and usage of this book is what we end up associating with my traits and personality. In the end to know one's self is to understand how all the concrete and plastic strings of your life weave together to create you. Metaphors aside, "Nosce Te Ispum" is to know how you yourself click, work, and function.

In the discussion of knowing myself, my greatest weakness and also strength would be brought up. To point out your own weakness is an odd thing to do since in life you would have thought that you would have corrected this fault. I mean why would anyone want an imperfect life? My weakness, for lack of a better term it seems, is that I am reserved. Being reserved is an fundamental instinct of nature, it is logical that a organism would take the past of least resistance and risk. Of course as humans, the exception to the laws of nature, we are urged to discover new things in hope of greater happiness. My reserved nature brings comfort with routine, and regularity, but also can hold me back from new experiences. In reference to my earlier blog entry about the definition of a good life being one to action, I shouldn't about whether my break from routine is good or bad, but instead, just do it. As for my greatest strength it would have to be intelligence. This intelligence applies to creativity, seeing as I am good at looking at things from a different angle. At my job I design projects for elementary school students based on the backwards upside down Italian scribbles of Leonardo Da Vinci. I must adapt very complex designs which will contain flaws, into simple projects in order to teach simpler minds how to expand their own minds.

Now that I know what is to know myself what is the big picture? Nosce after all is an imperative construction so what did I learn (that was my task after all). I labeled my greatest strengths and weaknesses, the ranges and domains of my personality and came to a conclusion. Even though I just wrote down what I know about myself, tomorrow I might write a completely different answer. After all, nothing is certain in life due to it constant ebb and flow. Nosce Te Ispum is something that must be repeated and revised in order to stay up to date and accurate. This self reflection must be done every day so that one can continue to know themselves and their place in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment